The end of 2017 is nigh! I can’t believe it’s already that time of year- a time of reflection, gratitude, and bracing oneself for the peak of winter. Instead of “resolutions” I prefer to look at my year’s accomplishments, and goals for the New Year. I was looking at my 2016-2017 goals and accomplishments post and can’t believe how far I’ve come in the past year with my running journey. It’s amazing how one step, one run, one week, one month, adds up to goals I never thought possible.
2017 Goals in Review:
1. Finish the 2017 Glass Slipper Challenge: CHECK! Tommy ran the 10K with me and we had a BLAST! I can’t believe I woke up the next day to run the half marathon and set a personal best of 2:20. What an amazing race weekend.
I threw in an extra “challenge” for good measure when I ran the Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) Distance Medley: the 5K in April, the 10K in June, and the half marathon in October. The 5K was fun, the 10K was a PR of 1:01, and the half tested my spirit. It was my first half marathon letdown. But I won’t let it break me!
2. DO.MORE.STRENGTH.TRAINING. CHECK! I decided to be brave and try new things this year. I am a barre convert and aim for one class a week and have noticed the difference in my flexibility and form. I also incorporated strength and speed training by joining what I thought was an intimidating treadmill studio. I encourage you to try something new that scares you. The first few times I tried these classes I felt slow and inadequate, but after some time I feel like I’m one of the regulars!
3. Sign up and train for a 2018 marathon: CHECK! Gulp. I have trained on my own through all kinds of weather, logging mile after mile, and am feeling ready for the Walt Disney World Marathon. My training schedule wasn’t perfect- in fact, I’m fighting a sinus infection right now, but should be back on my feet in a few days. Despite the challenges (who hasn’t experienced challenges?!) I worked hard and I have the drive to succeed. I want to finish and call myself a marathoner!
I also decided on a whim to add myself to the 2018 Chicago Marathon lottery and got in! So now I have TWO marathons in 2018. Phew! Are you noticing my overachiever tendencies?
So after a very productive 2017, here are my goals for 2018:
1) Run and Finish the Walt Disney World Marathon. Even if I end up crawling to the end, I want to see that finish line. After months of training, I’ve worked too hard to not finish. And I can’t wait to cry in the Epcot parking lot, my favorite park for so many reasons, and I want to count finishing my first marathon as one of those reasons. 🙂
2) Train for, run, and (hopefully finish) the Chicago Marathon. I’ve wanted to return to Chicago for years. I saw the opportunity, threw my name in the hat, and was selected to run the 2018 Chicago Marathon. This was a sign for me to continue my marathon dreams and see where they take me. Here’s to summer training! Wish me luck!
3) Be more healthful. Health is more than just fitness and I need to remember that. I will be turning 29 this year and as I approach my thirties, I need to start taking care of myself a little more. I want to think about health more holistically and include mindfulness, emotional and psychological well-being. I want to continue to run and strength train, but I also need to take vitamins more regularly, drink less alcohol and coffee, eat more mindfully and make better food choices, read more books, learn to say no if I’m feeling overwhelmed, and lean on others for help.
So here’s to 2018 – “While no one knows for sure what we’ll see or do. I do know it will be quite an adventure, an adventure that we’ll take and make together. See you in the future!” (Spaceship Earth)
What are YOU proud of in 2017? And what are YOUR goals for 2018?
Happy New Year!
Gina / Will Run for Disney